A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

stopping paying the mortgage

  • puffafish
  • puffafish's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
05 Mar 08 #15897 by puffafish
Topic started by puffafish
My S2BX moved out two months ago, we are getting divorced.
Both names are on the mortgage. He has paid his half into my bank account for the last two months but has not paid his half of the mortgage this month.Therefore, my bank account is pretty sad looking as the whole mortgage amount has gone out, with nothing paid in towards it!
Can he stop paying his half of the mortgage? Would I be able to knock it off the settlement? I am hoping to buy him out of the house. We have 3 kids.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Mar 08 #15999 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Who pays the mortgage is really a matter of common sense. Obviously one spouse with the ability to pay can't just walk away and leave the other spouse unable to pay the mortgage, although on the other hand a spouse who enjoys the sole use of the FMH can't expect an estranged spouse to contribute when they don't have the ability to do so and have to find their own living costs to find.

If your husband does stop the mortgage and leaves you struggling there is the option of applying for maintenance pending suit in the interim, but that incurs extra legal costs and people aren't always any better off.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.