A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Matrimonial home in one name prior to marriage

  • hopeimnotstuckwiththisone
  • hopeimnotstuckwiththisone's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
06 Mar 08 #16025 by hopeimnotstuckwiththisone
Topic started by hopeimnotstuckwiththisone
I am in the process of a divorce but I am confused as to the actual liability I have to my wife. I purchased a house in my name before we were married at £48000 which we lived in before we married two years later. During that period the prices rose dramatically. The house is now worth at least £90000. My wife seems to have the impression from her solicitor that she is entitled to 50% of an equity pot that she estimates around £50-60000 and expects to pay nothing toward the sale of the house or for living it while we are pending divorce.
My solicitor is advising me that the calculation should be based from the date of the marriage not the date i mortgaged and that I should be entitled to half payment for the mortgage since we split as she is still living in the house.
This was a short marriage of two years 4 months although we were in a relationship prior to that and co-habiting. She never contributed to the mortgage or main utility bills on the house during the marriage or during the cohabiting but gave £800 as down payment on house and spent £1000 on home improvements. I spent the proceeds from my previous relationship of 16 years (£6000) on home improvements. We have no children together and her children will both be over 18 by the time this goes to court.
What is the bottom line likely to be in this scenario? Can anyone shed some light onto which of our solicitors is likely to be incorrectly advising us as they both can't be right. My solicitor has advised me to make her an offer of no more than £16000 and she has refused that.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Mar 08 #16028 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
There is room for interpretation and at the end of the day only a judge's decision is binding. Your lawyer is arguing only the marriage counts but recently the courts have been prepared to treat a period of pre-marital cohabitation as part of the overall duration of the marriage if the couple have moved seamlessly from living together into marriage.

Also your sol will give an opinion on what he considers the best outcome is for you and your wife's sol will give his opinion according to the best outcome for her so in reality the position is usually somewhere in the middle. I'd suggest compromising and trying to resolve matters through mediation or collaborative law.

  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Mar 08 #16032 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
This article will shed some light on the issue:


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.