A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

House purchase with new partner - advise please

  • Techie
  • Techie's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
11 Mar 08 #16465 by Techie
Topic started by Techie
Okay, I am almost through the process of a fairly amicable divorce. Decree Nisi has been pronounced so just waiting the 6 weeks + 1 day for the Absolute. We have minutes of agreement over financial side of things and in effect the Consent Order dismisses all claims now and for the future (including inheritance) i.e. neither of us are going to request a pension sharing order etc. The consent order is waiting her signature before being sent to the court for ratification.

I now want to buy a house with my new partner for which we are each providing 50% of the deposit. The house will be for my partner, myself and future children of this relationship. Can my ex claim against the new house? Is there a risk?


  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Mar 08 #16469 by mike62
Reply from mike62
If you have agreed the financials, drawn up a 'Clean Break' consent order (definitely no children involved?) and both taken legal advice, then had the consent order rubber stamped by the court, you are safe.

But don't do anything binding until all of those points have been addressed.

The order must be a clean break
Both parties must take legal advice
Consent Order has to be rubber stamped by court

Congratulations on getting to this point amicably


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11