A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

can he just stop paying the mortgage ?

  • floswift
  • floswift's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
15 Mar 08 #16871 by floswift
Topic started by floswift
My husband moved out in Nov and is seeing someone else. Since he left he has been paying his share of the mortgage. We are now in negotiations and are trying to reach an agreement over finances before the divorce. I want to buy him out of the FMH and initially offered him a sum which he refused. At that time I did not know about his mistress. He said there was no one else involved . I have since found out about his affair so I have retracted my offer ( he had refused it anyway) and have told him I am seeking an amount from his pension which will be offset aginst the equity in the house. We have been married ten years and have no children.
I have sent off for my CETV - he has so far refused to do so for his.
He has now come back and said he will accept my original offer - however this offer is no longer valid as I am seeking a settlement from his pension. He has refused to send of for his CETV and has said that if I don't pay him the amount that was originally offered he will stop paying his half of the mortgage. Can he do this ? He is a police officer and is duty bound to discharge his lawful debts .

  • kidsinbulgaria
  • kidsinbulgaria's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
15 Mar 08 #16877 by kidsinbulgaria
Reply from kidsinbulgaria
If it is a joint mortgage then he obviously has his usual obligation to pay his share just like if there was no separation involved.

If you feel that the mortgage payment cannot be met then keeping in communication with the mortgage lender is a must. If they are aware that a separation is occuring than they are more approachable and even accept offers of lower payments. They would prefer to get something rather than nothing. They hate it when there is no communication.

I am not sure legally what you can do to make him pay, sorry.....

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.