A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Family Home Usage

  • k2k2
  • k2k2's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
20 Mar 12 #319065 by k2k2
Topic started by k2k2
I was made to leave my FMH by various devious means used by my stbx. I initially rented but have now purchased a property of my own.

My stbx is now in another relationship and spends all her time at her partners house. So much so, that my son has been given a bedroom there, she has given away the family dog and house trained the cat so she doesn''t have to be in the FMH more than she needs.

It pains me to scrimp and scrape by to fund my own place and cover all her costs when she is rarely staying at the FMH. Rubbing salt into the wound she takes weekends and holidays away almost all of the time.

My questions are, is it worth me persuing the FMH as it would be more suited to me than my current property? Is it worth pushing for the sale of the FMH and dividing the equity? Can my stbx keep the FMH even though she hardly uses it? Should I not be concerned?

Many thanks.

  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Mar 12 #319075 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
You will need strong evidence, accumulated over a long period, to show that she doesn''t really need the house. You need a diary of her absences over at least six months I would say. Your best argument would probably be for a sale and division of the proceeds as you would presumably use then to reduce the mortgage on the place you''ve bought.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.