A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Leaving the family home

  • TGC
  • TGC's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
20 Mar 12 #319086 by TGC
Topic started by TGC
Hello, have just joined and would really welcome some advise!

I have been married for a short time of only 20 months. We have a young child.
We live in a mortgaged property that is in my husbands sole name.

My life is being made hell by him and have been advised to stay put to enable me to get the most benefit, however time has come that i really do need to leave for my own sanity.

I am hoping to get financial help from family or from the bank to enable me to start up in rented acomodation however in the eyes of the law will this leave me with less cope to fight for what I am entitled to?

  • vivi36
  • vivi36's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Mar 12 #319173 by vivi36
Reply from vivi36
Hiya, this is difficult to answer. Generally I have read on here that with a short marriage you leave with what you put in. ie: if you paid the deposit on the house then the house would proberly be sold and and you would get your money back.

Can I ask what it is that you think you are ''entitled'' to?

How long have you been together pre marriage?

I was married for 7 years. met 2 years previous to that but was still considered by the courts to have a short marriage.

good luck

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Mar 12 #319178 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
The usual legal advice is not to move out of the former matrimonial home (unless it is unsafe) until arrangements for finances and children are in place. You will be rehoused if you move out and there could be little incentive for your husband to reach a settlement.

Did you cohabit before marriage? With short childless marriages there is a principle that each party takes away what they brought to the marriage. However, the duration of the marriage is only one factor in the s25 Matrimonial Causes 1973 checklist. When there are children their "needs," in particular for housing during their minority is the priority. Very often the needs of a parent with the majority of care for children will overrule the usual short marriage principle.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.