A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

what will my husband be entitled to???

  • orangesorbet1973
  • orangesorbet1973's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
21 Mar 12 #319345 by orangesorbet1973
Topic started by orangesorbet1973
Thank you for reviewing my questions.

My husband & I married in September 2010.
In 2009 we bought a house together (joint names) and in order to fund the deposit for the mortgage I had to sell my flat which was solely mine. The funds from my sale were used to pay for the deposit towards the mortgage and our wedding (£30K in total) My husband contributed nothing towards the deposit for our mortgage or the wedding.
The mortgage we have is ‘interest only’ therefore over the past 3 years we have not been able to reduce our mortgage.
A recent valuation on the house was provided as between £235K – 245K.
We owe £202K on the mortgage

In 2010 my husband was made redundant and we jointly funded a business together which has grown to be very successful. The business was originally a ‘sole trader’ and now is a limited company as the business moved into a bigger premises.

I have recently started divorce proceedings against my husband due to unreasonable behaviour. He has a cocaine & alcohol addiction (which he blames me for) and has also been violent on occassions.

My question: bearing in mind we have been married for such a short period of time, with no financial contribution into the initial funding of our mortgage. What would he be entitled to?
1) Will the Courts split the equity 50:50? Or will my circumstances be considered, i.e what money I originally contributed? The money I funded for his business?
2) Would my husband have any claims on my pensions?

We are now separated pending the divorce and he no longer pays any money for the ‘interest only mortgage’ or bills

At first my husband seemed happy to walk away with the business as I was happy to not make a claim for any assets as long as I was able to keep the house.

I am very worried he would be entitled to 50% of the equity in the home leaving me with losing the money I contributed when I sold my flat. I have also just discovered that he set up the limited company failing to list me as a Director!

Many thanks for replies.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11