A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Can i get a mortgage

  • positive99
  • positive99's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
21 Mar 12 #319394 by positive99
Topic started by positive99
Hi wikipeeps

does anyone know if I would be able to secure a mortgage based on benefits and child maintenance payments.

I am currently on a career break until Sept 2013. I am in receipt of JSA, Child tax credits and child benefit plus child maintenance.


  • survive
  • survive's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Mar 12 #319399 by survive
Reply from survive
Hi positive,

This may prove tricky I''m afraid, most big banks andb/s wouldn''t touch it.

The Halifax is one company that seem to offer mortgages and will take benefits into account, although I''m not sure if you have to be employed at least part time.

I know they will definately take into account child tax credit. If you child maintenance is court ordered or via CSA then that might be o.k. As for JSA (?)

But if I may ask, if you are unemployed would you be able to afford a mortgage let alone be given one??

It is best to find a mortgage broker who would be able to advise you, just be careful of the rates they quote too.

Hope this helps


  • positive99
  • positive99's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
22 Mar 12 #319531 by positive99
Reply from positive99
Hi Survive

Thanks for replying. Just what I thought to be honest.
Not sure where my stbx would like me to live lol.

I would be able to pay the mortgage. I am only hoping to borrow around 60k. The rest I will have when I sell the FMH and also a loan from parents.

Thanks for your advice.


  • perin123
  • perin123's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Mar 12 #319540 by perin123
Reply from perin123
Positive, I know when I enquired some lenders were happy to take into account tax credits, some were not. As for maintenance payments I was told unless there is a court order they would not entertain them.
As Survive said, best to get a mortgage adviser as they have access to lots of lenders and deals.

Good luck x

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11