A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Notice of severance of joint tenancy letter

  • Northernboy
  • Northernboy's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 Mar 12 #320473 by Northernboy
Topic started by Northernboy
Why should I sign this form when I pay the full mortgage for the FMH although she lives in there with the two kids. And I can''t afford to get my own place. We have even started divorce proceeding yet? Do I need to get a solicitor for this?

  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Mar 12 #320475 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
There''s nothing you can do about it at this stage anyway. No, you don''t need a solicitor for this - it just means that instead of jointly owning the whole of the house, you will each own a separate half. It''s a standard step to take. You may need a solicitor for the financial negotiations though.

  • Northernboy
  • Northernboy's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 Mar 12 #320485 by Northernboy
Reply from Northernboy
Do I have a set amount of time to sign this and return it to her sols?

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Mar 12 #320489 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
It''s just as much in your interests to sign this as hers. It means that if you were to die then your half of the house could be put into your will, rather than automatically going to her.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
28 Mar 12 #320496 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
Whether you agree or not, it will still go through. Your agreement is not required. It can be done unilaterally.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.