A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

matrimonial home

  • bodidly
  • bodidly's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
29 Mar 12 #320585 by bodidly
Topic started by bodidly
Can anybody tell me when does a non matrimonial home become a matrimonial home? How many years into a marriage. My house was mortguage free when i married in 2005 we split up 4 years later. Hope somebody can help ;)

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Mar 12 #320591 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
With a short childless marriage the usual starting point is each party takes away what they brought to the marriage. However, the duration of the marriage is only one factor, there are others in s25 Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 that have to be considered and the needs of one party, particularly if there are children, may trump over a short marriage.

Hope that helps. :)

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Mar 12 #320614 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
A home becomes a marital home as soon as a married couple live in it, even for one day. I would expect to receive a home rights registration from your ex in the near future, if you haven''t already. However as Fiona says that does not necessarily mean your ex is entitled to 50% or even anything from it. The figures depend on many factors.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.