A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Mortgage and csa

  • markp001
  • markp001's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
31 Mar 12 #320980 by markp001
Topic started by markp001
Hello everyone and what a fantastic place.
Ok im just going through seperation at present, we were not married but do have a joint mortgage and a 2 year old son. I came home from work to find my Partner and baby and most of our belongings gone and a solicitors letter stuck to the door. She is claiming a break down in the relation ship and unappropiate behaviour infront of our son ( argueing etc) since the day she took him i have had quite a bit of contact but the problem now comes as money will need to be sorted.. She wants £200+ off me a month(which honestly i dont mind paying as its for my boy) but now being left with all the bills and the mortgage i just wont have enough. I fear i will loose the house and this will effect everyone. Does she have a legal responcibility to pay half the mortgage?? I am not wanting to wriggle out of any payment for my son, that is the last thing i would do but this really could hurt all of us in the long run...

Thanks in advance:unsure:

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Mar 12 #320994 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
Welcome to wiki.

As its a joint mortgage you are both legally responsible for paying the mortgage.

However it is often said that the person who remains in the property should be responsible for payment of the whole mortgage. Their own half plus the other half ''''as occupational rent''''.

The only payment she can legal, without a court order, make you pay is child maintenance. This should be 20% of your net income, this can be reduced by 1/7 for overnight stays.

  • happe
  • happe's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Mar 12 #321001 by happe
Reply from happe
for 1 child its 15% of your net income

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11