A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

how do i dissolve declaration of trust?

  • bunnygirllondon
  • bunnygirllondon's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
03 Apr 12 #321452 by bunnygirllondon
Topic started by bunnygirllondon
I have a declaration of trust registered with the land registry, giving me 80% and partner 20%
We are now splitting up and I want to buy him out and dissolve the declaration of trust so I own the house on my own.
I am able to afford the mortgage but I do not know how to proceed.
The house is worth slightly less than we paid for it 5 years ago, but I would still own 60% of equity after buying him out.
Do I use a conveyancing solicitor? I tried one company but they didnt know what they were doing and my new mortgage application was refused as there was a declaration of trust! But I had asked them to assist me in dissolving it in the first place.
Is this very complicated or was I just unlucky with the solicitors?
Any advice gratefully recieved!

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Apr 12 #321546 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
It sounds as though you were unlucky. I would have thought that your mortgage application would explain that you intend to purchase the co-owners interest and extinguish the trust deed. The mortgage lender would then realise the position i.e. that you were the sole beneficial owner.

Perhaps your financial adviser (or mortgage lender if you approached them directly) did not complete your application with enough detail?


  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Apr 12 #321601 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
Charles is right, it sounds as though you''ve been a bit unlucky.

Have you agreed with your ex-partner how much is needed to buy him out? Presumably you are applying for a mortgaeg which will cover this + existing mortgage

If you have a letter from him confirming that he will transfer the property into your sole name upon payment of the lump sum you can include this in your mortgage application.

  • bunnygirllondon
  • bunnygirllondon's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 Apr 12 #321680 by bunnygirllondon
Reply from bunnygirllondon
Thankyou, will try again! I have the savings to buy him out so the mortgage would be for the same amount. And he has agreed (verbally) to the buy-out so hopefully I will have better luck next time!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.