A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Council properrty and Shared Residence

  • Rumplestiltsk1n
  • Rumplestiltsk1n's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Apr 12 #322357 by Rumplestiltsk1n
Topic started by Rumplestiltsk1n
I have shared residence of my two children, one disabled, but am not in receipt of either child benefit, tax credits, DLA or mobility as my ex claims everything. She has recently moved from private rent to council rented 3 bed house at £92pw. I have been living with my children for 47% of the year, in a 1 bed flat at £110pw, so I applied to the council for housing. Unfortunately they told me that I am only entitled to a one bed place because i am not in receipt of the child benefits. I am considering appealing against their decision. Has anyone heard of councils accepting shared residence orders and awarding another suitable property to the other parent? I really am struggling to understand everybody''s lack of acceptance of shared residence and why they only help the parent who is receipt of the child benefits!!

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Apr 12 #322410 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
There is no obligation on local authorities to house a family in two homes. In the case Holmes-Moorhouse the House of Lords held on appeal that although a Local Authority must consider a shared residence order there is no duty to house both parents because one isn''t in priority need if the other is already housed. Sorry. :(

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.