A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Selling the family home/dividing the money???

  • brunettebromley
  • brunettebromley's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
08 Apr 12 #322440 by brunettebromley
Topic started by brunettebromley

Im just after a little bit of advice if anyone has some personal experience on dealing with the following?

My partners parents seperated 11 years ago after his mum discovered his dad was cheating. He moved in with the women he was cheating on her with and his mum and there two sons stayed living in the martial home. They then divorced rougly 7 years ago but did not divid the house. Since he left 11 years ago he has not paid anyting towards the upkeep of the house, bills or maitence for there children who are now 23 snd 24. One is still living there and the other (my partner) is not.

The house is not in great condition and needs a lot of work. She has now decided it is time to sell but he is insisting he wants half.

We are having it valued on wednesday but as it is in need of some work are estimating it selling for around £175k.

They bought the house in her name in 1981 for £20,500. He paid off the mortgage in 1997 for £26k after being court by the tax man with large amounts of savings of undeclared earnings (builder). The deeds to the house are in both there names.

She would like to sell the house and give around 60k to each of the boys to set them up for life keep a small amount 16k for herself. She is going to live with us in an annex. She is willing to offer him around 20-30k rather than go to court and waste a lot of money on fees. She is not willing to give him half.

Has anyone gone through something like this and no what he is likely to get in court or anything she can do/say to help persuade him to be reasonably?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Apr 12 #322757 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
I don''t see him getting 50% here. His housing needs are met and have been for many years. If she''s going to live in an annex at your house, you need to do some serious thinking about what her rights are going to be in relation to that property. She really needs to see a solicitor for some advice.

  • somuch2know2
  • somuch2know2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Apr 12 #322821 by somuch2know2
Reply from somuch2know2
Sorry to jump on this thread but Jonathan has helped me considerably in the past.

In regards to asset divisions and housing needs, I want to move to London to reduce my 4hr commute a day down to 1.5hrs. See my thread below.. Advice needed


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.