A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

House help

  • matta
  • matta's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
15 Apr 12 #323942 by matta
Topic started by matta

First off sorry about the spelling..

Ok here goes

May wife left me last saturday and told me not to return to home and find some were els to stay.. the home is morgaged and in both names..
have been back today to get some thing( she only left me with 7 days worth of cloths and my car) and she has changed all the door locks and is not letting me go back in to the house.. so my question is... what can i do and how do i go about cetting a court order to get back in to the house.

The other problem is that she has not worked for the last 3 years and i have been paying the morgage and bills and i dont think she can pay it on her own.

Any help would be great

  • humdrum
  • humdrum's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
15 Apr 12 #323986 by humdrum
Reply from humdrum
If you are a joint owner of the house she cannot exclude you without a court order. I believe you can break a window or door to enter, or you can call the police to help you gain access, but let someone else confirm that. You have to be careful that confrontations don''t provide her with material to accuse you of other things, for example, my ex has accused me in court of of coming to the house and stealing his money and leaving the lights on to intimidate him (he hasn/t changed the locks but I am too scared to go back even though I have many belongings still in the house).

It is a very frustrating situation. Hope things improve.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.