A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Undervalued property to avoid divorce settlement

  • GotStuffedAtCourt
  • GotStuffedAtCourt's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 Apr 12 #324967 by GotStuffedAtCourt
Topic started by GotStuffedAtCourt
My Question:
Can I go to court to claim for an unfair and undervalued property valuation?

My Exwife has sold the home. In the financial settlement I am permitted to receive 40% of the Net from the house.
The property was originally marketed by the estate agents for £289,950.

Due to an excuse of "financial difficulty" my exwife has accepted an offer of £250,000 for the house, an almost 15% reduction in the house price.

She is telling me the house is being sold for £250,000 I believe she has actually sold it for more and is trying to pocket the difference. I cant prove this so I will have to take her word for it.

If I feel the property is being undersold to avoid stamp duty for the buyers, or to avoid paying me my fair share, can I go to court to claim for an unfair and undervalued property valuation?

Any advice on this would be most gratefully received.



  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Apr 12 #324974 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
Is the house in your name also? Just don''t sign on the dotted line.

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Apr 12 #324979 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
Be careful, as the house is being sold and will be done by solicitors conveying this it is easy enough to check the price by ringing up and asking the solicitors of this.

I know it is difficult but the fact that she has got a buyer and has sold and you have a percentage of the house rather than a fixed price means she will be "loosing" out just as much as you.

I think actually that it was sensible to take a real offer rather than holding out for a potential offer and waiting indefinitely for a buyer to come along that was willing or even able to offer the valuation price.

It is no secret that the housing market is in termoil and crisis. One of my neighbours has had his house up for sale for 3 years and has had offers for only 70% of the "market value" and friends have told him to lower the marketing price - his resonse how will that help me as the only few offers I have had have been way below the existing price and in any case I haven''t even had any views now for the past 4 months - he and his wife are happily married and want to move by choice.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11