A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Rights to enter home

  • Freeswallow
  • Freeswallow's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
27 Apr 12 #326773 by Freeswallow
Topic started by Freeswallow

I am in a relationship with a man whose wife left him 3 years ago and emigrated to the Caribbean. He is currently going through the divorce process. I moved in with my partner one year ago and have never been against his ex entering the home when she is in the country - to visit her children etc My problem is that she will turn up without warning, enter the house without letting anyone know- in one instance I got up to use the bathroom to find her standing on the landing! In August she is returning to this country to visit her kids and wants to stay in the house whilst my partner and I have a weekend away - I am uncomfortable with this as she will have access to the bedroom I use with all my belongings etc. I wondered where we stand legally to provide some boundaries (lock on the room etc). Her name is currently on the mortgage and the house is on the market for sale. Any advice please!
Any advice would be appreciated

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
27 Apr 12 #326789 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Your legal rights could be argued from a number of angles, its really down to you partner, he and his wife own the house and they have children, its definitely something to sort out once the house is sold, you don`t want to be in the same situation in your next home, talk to your partner and make sure he knows how you feel.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.