A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Mortgages and Divorce

  • Yummy_Mummy
  • Yummy_Mummy's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 May 12 #328492 by Yummy_Mummy
Topic started by Yummy_Mummy
My soon to be ex husband has decided that he wants the family marital home sold.

I can''t afford to pay the mortgage as my ex took out a huge one. I can''t afford to buy him out as I put all my savings on this property and previous homes as well. I''ve been home looking after the family, the home, the kids whilst he''s climbed the career ladder. I don''t work.
I had put in all my money over the years for us to get onto the property ladder and move homes.
Now all my savings have gone, I have no job.

It hasn''t been decided yet who the children will live with.

I really don''t want to rent but want to buy.

Will I be able to get a mortgage as I''ll be divorced and may not be able to work as I''ll want to be taking care of my children.

Please can someone help. Thanks.

  • Lostboy67
  • Lostboy67's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
04 May 12 #328502 by Lostboy67
Reply from Lostboy67
Welcome to wiki
Your s2bx may be getting a little ahead of himself, and you shouldn''t be in a rush to put the house on the market. No doubt he is expecting to sell the house and spit the equity equally and that may not be fair.
A key point will be who will be main carer for the children, it would seem that up to now you have been performing that role so it would seem reasonable for that to continue with an agreeable level of contact.
If you are the Parent With Care (PWC) then you will also be entitled to tax credits and benefits that go along with that.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.