A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Aspergers and House

  • NeedSomeHelp2
  • NeedSomeHelp2's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
05 May 12 #328601 by NeedSomeHelp2
Topic started by NeedSomeHelp2
I am in a really difficult situation.

I have Aspergers, a registered disability, one of the consequences of such is that one cannot cope with change.

My wife left me and the children 2 years ago. When she realised the house wouldn''t get sold while the children were with me; she instigated their removal. She didn''t want them though, after turning them against me (and herself) social services put them with extended family.

With the children out of the way she upped the ante in getting the divorce settled wanting half the money from the house, the car and half of all money I had when she left. (basically what I''ve been living on so the pot is fast running out; around £3k left.)

Not only do I have Aspergers, I''m also suffering from depression and chronic fatigue. I take two different anti-depressants and have weekly sessions with a psychotherapist along with visits to an Aspergers specialist.

I am 52 on ESA with the DLA going through the motions. I have no prospect of ever earning again.

She is 37 and living in a much better area with her new partner.

The house is owned outright. I put it in joint names when we bought it for convenience if I should die. It is worth around £150k. The car is worth only around £1k. I also have a motorhome worth around £10k which I rent out in the summer months (no bookings this year though, so far). The business only ever grosses around £2k (every little helps)

Throughout our marriage of 15 years I always supported my wife financially, she never had to work. I owned a flat in London for 9 years before we met which is basically what paid for the house.

Any advice. I really can''t cope with selling the house for practical, physical and emotional reasons (and financial of course). I couldn''t cope with the move, the packing. I couldn''t cope with living somewhere else.

Any advice would be appreciated. :(

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 May 12 #328611 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
One thing you can do to buy yourself some time and have real evidence is to get your doctors to produce a full medical report of your condition and your current mental health including their objective opinion on your ability to cope with moving and change and the reasons for your depression, how long you have suffered from depression and so on.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11