A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Holiday Home Problems

  • AmIan
  • AmIan's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
05 May 12 #328609 by AmIan
Topic started by AmIan

A bit of a long shot but you never know, someone may have some advice.

I divorced a little over a year ago. A financial settlement was reached however, my ex and I owned a property in Spain. With the state of the property market it was pretty much impossible to arrive at a value for the property. Suffice to say you need a buyer for something to be worth something.

Anyway, the settlement stated that the home should be kept until such time that it could be sold.

The problem that I face is that the house is in desperate need of renovation, leaking roofs, failed electrics etc. To this point I have funded the emergency repairs with my ex contributing nothing.

I have made what I consider to be a sensible offer to buy my ex''s share of the property but have received s straight no.

Is there anything that I can do to force my ex''s hand as it seems so unfair that I am continually paying out money whilst my ex continues to enjoy its use without making any financial contribution whatsoever?

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
06 May 12 #328694 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Do you have a court stamped Consent Order?, if you do what does it actually say about the sale of the property, the exact wording is important.

Most of the time if there is an issue you can take it back to court for a judges "direction" in other words the judge says do this or that to resolve the issue.

If you post up the wording others will be able to advise further.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11