A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Forcing financial assets information?

  • Try, try again but failin
  • Try, try again but failin's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
07 May 12 #328970 by Try, try again but failin
Topic started by Try, try again but failin
How do I ascertain a true reflection of my marital partners assets?

Recently he withdrew over half the proceeds of our previous marital home sale for debts he accrued, some of which he had taken loans from a family run company and said he was now paying back.

I saw none of this money and am now wondering how much has been taken under false pretences? I have never seen any paperwork just the amounts leaving the joint account.

Do I go to an accountant, lawyer or can I fill in a form that is legal requesting a breakdown of his financial situation.

I kinda feel I have been stitched up somewhat.

  • flowerofscotland
  • flowerofscotland's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 May 12 #328986 by flowerofscotland
Reply from flowerofscotland
Hi try,try again but failin,

Any debt accrued during your marriage will be classed as marital debt, but I am sure there will be other wiser Wiki''s on this subject who will be able to advise accordingly.

What I will say is that you have to be careful that he is not ''hiding'' any marital assets to his gain or advantage and this is very difficult to prove. I know in my case I have had to do everything by the letter of the law and it still has not produced the result of fairness and equality.

I would suggest that you do as much background homework as you possibly can in relation to any family business/debts and go armed to your Solicitor to present your case. The more information that you have for them to work on, on your behalf, the better.

It is amazing how many STBX''s can try to pull the wool over your eyes and think they can get away with murder.

Good luck and please do not be taken for a fool!

Take care for now FoS x

  • Try, try again but failin
  • Try, try again but failin's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
07 May 12 #328993 by Try, try again but failin
Reply from Try, try again but failin
Yep, all of a sudden properties that I thought he (we)owned seem to have been transferred to other members of the family.

Frankly, all I want is the small flat we are in now and he can have anything else (he claims nothing else is worth anything in the financial climate but I know he got a lot of properties at knock down prices.) To my knowledge he last had around 32 flats/houses and shares in two property companies so not convinced about anything and honestly don''t want anything at all other than a roof over my head.

I am so pissed off at his subterfuge just now.

Claims to be skint but has took 17 year old out to look at cars today.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 May 12 #328996 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
A lawyer who specialises in family law is in the best position to advise about where you stand and what options there are. If you apply to court the court will require financial disclosure and your husband can be asked to provide documentary evidence as to when the properties were transferred and to whom.

Dispositions of property to members of the family with the intention of preventing or reducing a spouse''s claims can be set aside, or the value can be added back to the pot and the other assets split accordingly.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.