A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Wife moving out, taking child. Mortgage concerns.

  • ayeayecapn
  • ayeayecapn's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
08 May 12 #329274 by ayeayecapn
Topic started by ayeayecapn
Our house has just gone on the market.
However, something I wasn''t expecting is that my wife has announced she''s moving out in 10 days. She''s moving to rented accommodation and taking our son. As she is the main breadwinner and has been for some time I''m concerned about any possible debt that may be incurred by either of us. I am unable to support the monthly outgoings and would need her to maintain her current level of financial input.
We are married and the house is under both names.
What rights do I have?
Or, what is my position in law as a spouse regarding this?
Thanks in advance.

  • insane
  • insane's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
08 May 12 #329288 by insane
Reply from insane
is she prepared to pay for a property she dosent live in ? get some advice quickly if you default on mortgage you are both equally liable for the debt

  • ayeayecapn
  • ayeayecapn's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
08 May 12 #329294 by ayeayecapn
Reply from ayeayecapn
Don''t know.

She has said we can go through money side of things tomorrow. (she''s out now)
Sadly, my gut is telling me it''s something that''ll have a longer term impact on me than her.
Part of a plan to ensure I get less of everything in the long term?

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 May 12 #329382 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
If you are unable to pay the mortgage and she is not prepared to help out voluntarily, then you could apply for maintenance pending suit. It''s usually the wife/PWC that does this but there''s no reason why you couldn''t do it. Whether it''s awarded or not would depend on the figures.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.