A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Access to Family Home

  • dominoo
  • dominoo's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
10 May 12 #329876 by dominoo
Topic started by dominoo
My ex husband''s solicitor has sent me a letter implying that as the property is still in joint names that my ex has right of passage into my home to search for certain items that he still thinks is here (albeit he left the FMH 4 years ago and the Consent Order has been drawn up weeks ago to sort out the ownership into my name) . Can he just turn up on the doorstep and demand entry - I am very worried about this as I do not think this seems right.
How do I stand legally?

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 May 12 #329881 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Technically he has rights as an owner and it would be reasonable to arrange for him to access the property at a mutually convenient time to collect his possessions.

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 May 12 #329915 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
Yes technically he does have rights. But after being away for 4 years, your right to privacy would greatly outweigh his right of access. If you have not done so yet, change the locks.

You can do it 2 ways. The friendly, mature and sensible way is to find his items, and arrange a time for collection. He doesn''t need to come in, you can just hand the items to him on the doorstap. Or drop them round to his place. Or meet in a neutral location such as a supermarket car park to hand them over.

Or you can take the hardline approach and tell him to take a hike. What''s he going to do? After an absence of 4 years, to gain access he would need a court order. I''m guessing the value of the items is less than the costs of obtaining a court order.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11