A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Ex signed house over, can he have any future claim

  • teacher2011
  • teacher2011's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
14 May 12 #330443 by teacher2011
Topic started by teacher2011
Hiya, am new to this. Am now divorced and have been for a number of months. We have no children and all was settled fairly amicably.
I owned a property before we met which I subsequently added his name to the mortgage/deeds in 2010, we divorced in 2011(short marriage only 2 years!)
As part of the divorce settlement he kept the savings and he signed the house back over to me, the deeds and mortgage are now solely in my name. As well as bringing the property into the marriage I paid 2 thirds of the mortgage throughout the marriage and since he moved out I paid it solely on my own. The transfer deed is due to be completed this week. MY question is as we are now divorced and the house will be signed over to me completely and the mortgage my responsibility, can he have any future claim on what will be my property? Any advice and help will be appreciated.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
14 May 12 #330445 by dukey
Reply from dukey
What you need is a Consent Order, it does not sound as though you have one?, the order removes potential future claims, in your case this would be a Clean Break order.

If you don`t have one even though you are both divorced one or the other has a right to make a future claim in court, it does not mean any future claim would be successful only possible, for peace of mind for you both have the order written by a solicitor, wiki offer the solicitor service fro £139 so not expensive.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.