A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Wife left does not want house how do i keep it leg

  • juwelkeeper
  • juwelkeeper's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
15 May 12 #330619 by juwelkeeper
Topic started by juwelkeeper
My wife left me and the children a week ago and has said she does not want the house. I have 2 children 17 and 14 living with me. She did say that if i ever did sell the house she would like some sort of payment. Can i get anything legally written up stating that the house is now mine and that if i did sell i would have to pay here x amount on the sale. I don''t want a verbal agreemnet between me and my x as i don''t want the worry of here coming back years down the line demanding i sell up so she can have half the house.

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 May 12 #330629 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
Yes you can and should get this written up formally as part of the divorce proceedings. It is called a Consent Order. This particular type of consent order (the spouse who left is paid at a later date when the house is sold etc) is called a Mesher order.

If your wife is willing to co-operate in the process and you can come to agreement on the terms and amount she should get, then you can use the excellent services of this website, much cheapness.

  • Lostboy67
  • Lostboy67's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
15 May 12 #330632 by Lostboy67
Reply from Lostboy67
Part of the divorce process is the Concent Order that defines what happens to the finances, usually this is done between the Nisi and Absolute, but can be done after that.
It is usually best to get everything settled, the kind of arrangement she describes is a Mesher Order.

A verbal agreement, or even to the same extent a written agreement isn''t binding until you''ve got it signed off in a Concent Order, until that is done you are open to claim. You should really get this sorted out sooner rather than later.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.