A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Entitled to what?

  • crish
  • crish's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
15 May 12 #330635 by crish
Topic started by crish
My wife and I separated (not divorced) last November after 3 years of marriage ,prior to this we lived together in the house we purchased for 8 years.
There are no children involved.
It was quite amicable and she moved out.
I agreed to pay her half the equity in the house and we agreed what household goods to split, she signed over the deeds etc, all done legally by a solicitor.
I am now the sole owner of the house and my name is on the deeds.

Is my wife still entitled to claim anything on the house if I was to sell etc prior to divorce?


  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 May 12 #330640 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
Yes. If you have no Consent Order then she can still make a claim. You don''t mention it in your post but I assume you did actually give her the money as promised? If so then there''s a good chance that any claim for more, would fail. You came to an agreement at the time, she would have an uphill struggle to show a court why she agreed to that deal at the time but has since changed her mind. There may be factors that make this change of mind valid (for example if she has become disabled or you have won the lottery), but in the absence of such factors, a court would most likely uphold the original agreement. But it''s best to get it signed and sealed in a consent order to avoid future claims, in case such factors do arise.

  • crish
  • crish's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
15 May 12 #330648 by crish
Reply from crish
Thanks for your reply.
Yes i gave her the monies in front of the solicitor and she signed the deeds over.
Your reply makes me feel easier :)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11