A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

avoiding arrears

  • hur
  • hur's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 May 12 #331564 by hur
Topic started by hur
should I inform my mortgage company that after next month we will struggle to pay mortgage ?

will they be sympathetic - I am just putting house on market

we have about 40% equity in £460k home

note my use of we & I
my husband informed me yesterday he will not be paid anymore after May ( 5 years paid sick reason given depression)
he also told me we have no savings (so what happened to that £38,000 we had at the end of Feb 2012) and I must deal with it

I am ashamed to say I have let him control me for years just to keep the peace.
Sharing family home with 2 children 10,12

I can go into further details... but, can anyone give me any information on how mortgage company might respond

  • raybird
  • raybird's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 May 12 #331579 by raybird
Reply from raybird
so long as you keep them informed, they seem to be ok, i have to phone mine twice a month to let them no the situation xxxxxxxxxxxx

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 May 12 #331580 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
Would you be able to afford some payment?

Could you change to an interest only mortgage until the house is sold?

I would definitely get in contact with mortgage company and discus options.

  • perin123
  • perin123's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 May 12 #331585 by perin123
Reply from perin123
My mortgage company were no help at all, they just want their money.

I was told that only after a payment has not been made for 2 months do they consider it a default. If you pay say half the payment one month and half the payment the following month then in the third month it will be seen as a default as you are then behind with the payments. Am I making sense??

If you do this your credit rating will then be affected as a note is put on your credit file, same goes for anyone else named on the mortgage. This apparently happens also if you agree to a change in your monthly payment with them.

My ex did the same, stopped paying his half of mortgage last year so I am now struggling to pay until finances sorted as I don''t want him dragging me down with him...

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.