A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

House values

  • LinzW
  • LinzW's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
24 May 12 #332697 by LinzW
Topic started by LinzW
Myself and my ex disagree on the value of our home. He has stated the value at £180k and will not budge on this.
We have had 3 valuations,£180k, £185k and £190k. So I figured it is reasonable to assume £185k as an acceptable value. I have now learnt that the house next door to ours has just sold for £185k. As the property is a new build and the house next door (semi-detatched) is identical, I see no reason why he will not accept this as a fair value.

My questsion is this, will the judge at our first appointment accept this as a value based on the sale of the house next door and the valuaions, or will they order an independent survey at both our costs?

I am just trying to add up whether this issue of value is worth pushing, consideting the equity is so small (about £15k) it is a big percentage of this.


  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 May 12 #332707 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
I am not sure whether it would be worth getting an independant surveyor. Although a few hundred pounds is alot less than £15K.

Leave the ultimate decision to the judge, make sure you take the details on the property that has just sold to court.

Personally the £185K seems the sensible figure being in the middle of the 3 valuations and in view of the house that has recently sold.

Is the house likely to be sold, if so you really want to get a realistic valuation.

  • Support4U
  • Support4U's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
24 May 12 #332716 by Support4U
Reply from Support4U
If you have a solicitor it is worth writing to your ex and open up the lines of communications but strictly business and no accusations. Get his view on paper and then try to put your view accross as to what you think. If your ex disagree as to the value then you bring the letters to the attention of the Judge. Make sure you put proof of the value to the next door house. A valuation is normally ordered by the Judge and the cost to be split in half between the parties. Howerver, if the Judge sees the financial position of the parties he may just take the value indicated by the next door house.
Neverthelss, don''t assume the Judge will give in your favour. Make sure you have the written request from him and evidence in writing that you have tried on all reasonable grounds to reach an agreement. You can do this yourself as long as you can keep your emotions in check and write strictly to the issue at hand. You can always file a D11 (Application Notice) to get Directions from the court if your ex refuses. You do need evidence that you communicated to your ex about your wishes for valuation as it would be in your best interest to include a statement with the evidence that you wrote to him and also attach proof as to the house sale next door.

  • LinzW
  • LinzW's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
24 May 12 #332728 by LinzW
Reply from LinzW
Thank you both for your advice. I am self repping and have been in constant contact with the ex regarding reaching an agreement, he has refused to comment on the house next door and has said he is happy for an independant valuation. We are close to reaching agreement the only thing we cannot agree on is the lump sum payable. He is buying me out of the house as he does not want to sell, he has lived in the house since our seperation.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.