A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Where do I stand financially??

  • funkymom
  • funkymom's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
25 May 12 #332959 by funkymom
Topic started by funkymom
Hi, I have been living with my Husband for nearly 9 years and married for 2 of them. Financially I have nothing..no savings,property etc. My husband has a home with no mortgage,bonds and hefty savings.He rents out this home and we live in a rented house. He inherited a large sum of money during our relationship which made it possible for him to clear his mortgage and have these savings. I have always worked full time during the relationship and paid 3/4 of the bills.My Husband is very mean with money and is obsessive about parting with it hence myself paying most of the bills..He only pays rent on this property and the phone/cable.I am now ill and can no longer work full time and hopefully when the hospital regulate my illness I may be able to go back part time but this is not for sure. I have 2 teenage children from a previous relationship. Will I walk away with nothing from this marriage I dont know where I stand with all this

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 May 12 #332965 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
It is a short marriage but if the cohabition prior was continuous this extends the time together considerably. I do not think you will walk away with nothing.

Are you still living together? If not,have you applied for Tax credits?

Have divorce proceedings commenced?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 May 12 #332968 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Please see my reply to another similar post of yours under a different thread.

I don''t want to give anyone a ticking off, and certainly not someone who is new to the site, but from the point of view of us advisers, we need the whole picture, not part of it.


  • funkymom
  • funkymom's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
25 May 12 #332969 by funkymom
Reply from funkymom
Yes we are still living together..I am finding out what my options are as I dont know how long I can cope living like this..I am living hand to mouth..debts are rising and He just carries on as normal..I dare not ask him for money all hell will break loose..
we had a break a few years ago for a couple of weeks but he didnt actually "move" out..all his possessions were still here and none of his mail etc were redirected. I feel like Im being used..paying all the bills in this home while he squirrels away all his wages and rent money from the tenants. To add insult to injury I am the contact/sorter for the tenants if anything is needed at the house!! He just tells me its for the future..yes His!!

And my apologies for my newbee mistakes :)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.