A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

shared ownership and housing benefit

  • Thornley
  • Thornley's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
03 Jun 12 #334879 by Thornley
Topic started by Thornley
Does anyone know if you can sell the family home and put the money into ''part-rent part-buy'' - IF the amount of money is over 16K from the sale, and you want to apply for housing benefit to help with the rental part ?

My friend, who is on incapacity benefit and cannot work, is getting divorced. She cannot afford to keep the marital home by taking over the mortgage and paying off her husband. He does not earn enough to pay much, if any, spousal maintenance.

She has a daughter who is in full time education and lives with her.

She is likely to come out of the house sale with not enough to buy anything suitable (with 2 bedrooms) in the area. So she is wondering about shared ownership (part rent part buy).

Shared ownership does allow the shared owner access to housing benefit but she has been advised by the council that this would not apply to her - because she would have more than 16K in assets when she sells.

Citizens'' Advice were not sure so she doesn''t know what to do.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jun 12 #335071 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Having capital in excess of £6000 will normally affect one''s entitlement to means tested benefits.

Capital is defined so as to exclude the value of the house occupied by the claimant as a residence.

Of course anyone owning a house would not normally pay rent on it. But shared ownership is a bit of a hybrid and on the basis of the general rules, I would have thought that capital which is '' invested '' in a part buy part rent should not count.

The fact that part of the property is owned by the claimant reduces the rent and therefore the cost to the Exchequer. I''d be inclined to think in terms of challenging this ruling.

Housing benefit changes all the time, but I''d be inclined to show this reply to the CAB and ask advice from their specialist unit - if CAB''s still have them. Failing that, Shelter.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.