A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Had enough, help

  • CHARLIE69's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Jun 12 #335356 by CHARLIE69
Topic started by CHARLIE69
After 2 years of seperation and a long divorce i have come to the settlement.

Im 30, ex husband in 49
Got house in 2004 - paid £116,000
Got married in 2005
Had child in 2007
Ive worked full time (37.5 hours) all through marriage and ongoing, ex husband has been in and out of work, currently out of work.
Ive just had property valued at £125,000 quick sale price.
Owe £87,000 on mortgage
Ex has not paid a penny towards the house since the day he left (May 2010)
And has not paid anything for our child for the past year (June 2011)
I have offered him £5,000 to buy him out (i cant afford much), he agreed at first, then disagreed saying "he wants more" but no amount suggested. He has now decided not to go with his solicitor has phoned mine and said he wants £20,000 to buy him out which is just a joke. I have now decided it might be easier just to sell the house, but have been informed that i need his agreement (cant imagine getting agreement for anything off that man) so at a loss on what to do. Just want closure now. I also have to pay all legal fees now because legal aid say i earn too much which is a laugh too because i have none. What is a reasonable offer? If it does go to court what is the likely outcome? Im just thinking i cant really afford a court case, but im not sure if my ex will leave me with any other option.

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Jun 12 #335359 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
I think he is a fool to turn down your offer of £5k. This is probably the most he''d get through court even on a good day, and he''d have legal fees to pay out of that. I would repeat your offer of £5k, saying that if he refuses you will apply to court.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11