A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Who gets to stay in the House

  • NoWhereToTurnl
  • NoWhereToTurnl's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 Jun 12 #337275 by NoWhereToTurnl
Reply from NoWhereToTurnl
Its not a good idea to change the locks, the court would take a very dim view of it and she has right of entry as your married and it is still her home. Think about anything that could jeopardize contact with your children.

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
17 Jun 12 #337277 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
rmatank wrote:

then stay put. i have heard of people changing the locks while the spouse is out and there is absolutely nothing they can do. The police cannot do anything either as it isnt a criminal matter.

And nothing Police could do when she broke in either!

  • startagain
  • startagain's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 Jun 12 #337279 by startagain
Reply from startagain
She can apply for to Land Registry and have and register an "Interest" in the house as a marital asset. Then she can remove the locks if you did change them.

Does not matter whose name is on deeds is in the "pot" to be divided, but I think you said its worth less that the mortgage ? and house price aint going up anytime soon I guess! So it''s the case of a roof over your head than carving up the money from a sale or buy out.

Move the divorce on, take control

Good man don''t date, girls are nothing but trouble!!!

Take care

  • Bobbinalong
  • Bobbinalong's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Jun 12 #337298 by Bobbinalong
Reply from Bobbinalong
lost, most of us as you guess have been there.
As my ex, yours will try alsorts to get you out, its hard to remember that.
I ended up in my sons room but he was stilla baby at the time, trying to work shifts, I tried to work something out with her so I could get some rest, I tried to get my son moved into my daughters room, she just said you will have to ask her, knowing the answer, daughter was about 4 at the time!
She was rubbing her hands cos I couldnt sleep.
It comes down to you and your personality as to what you can bear.
It takes a strong willed person to stick it out, you will be bombarded every day, how long can you stick it.
And, for wht, if the house has little equity, you might as well look to rent somewhere close for you and your kids, you aint going to get custody, depends on your work as to how long you have them, but your looking at every other weekend and whatever other time you can get as well as taking them to and from school.
The sooner you get a schedule set up and working, the better.
Its hard, giving up on a marriage and turning away, its going to happen though and if you have suspisions she has another bloke, all the harder, but the end comes sooner.
Get your life sorted as much as you can, find somewhere close, for you and the kids, my ex thought a 1 bed flat would do, I have 2 kids!
All you have to pay her is CM, its 20% of your net pay, minus 1/7th''s for no. of overnights.
If she takes you to court for SM, so be it, but the sooner your renting the better your outgoings will be taken into consideration.
Dont give up on dating, you will meet someone one day... but your kids come first.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.