A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Advice on transfer of mortgage

  • Momo65
  • Momo65's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
12 Jun 12 #336234 by Momo65
Topic started by Momo65
Can anyone help?

My husband has just sent me an email to advise that our mortgage company has requested me to sign a letter saying that I am agreeing to come off the mortgage for the house (I haven''t seen it yet) and that I need to sign it in order for them to process the application for him to solely take over the mortgage.

Neither of us has set the ball in motion to apply for divorce but he has just suggested that we do that now in order to tie everything up legally (and also that he is now seeing someone else).

My question is; do I agree to sign this letter - before we have applied for divorce? How will I guarantee that I will get a share of the house if I sign before any agreement is in place?

I can''t afford to instruct a solicitor so hoping for some pointers here.....

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
12 Jun 12 #336236 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Its generally unwise to do anything until divorce proceedings are underway you have the Decree Nisi and a Consent Order.

So no don`t sign it wait until you have a consent order agreed by court.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.