my ex left the matrimonial house and is now livng in a rented accommodation. when she left l struggled to pay motgage and for 6mths the lender allowed me to pay half hoping the other part will allow me to make the arrangement for a year but she never responded to lender''s request now its been 1yr paying full motgage on my own and living with two children who are in fulltime education. wel they are 21 and 18 in full time edu my ex now says we need to sell the house and l should make arrangements to rent as well. but l think l might afford to buy her out in 6 mths l am in full time educ as well she has two children 15 and 11 tho will she be able to force me sale if she wont like to wait for her money which is the case coz we dont talk at all its an acrimonious divorce can demand that she pay me a year''s worth of her motgage which l paid on her behalf to keep the property
1. Your respective ages
2. How long were you married, how long did you co-habit before marriage, and how long ago did you separate
3. You say she has 2 children 15 and 11, are these yours too?
4. Which children were living with you full time during the marriage?
5. What are your respective incomes including any benefits, child support, maintenance from previous partners etc
6. What is the value of the house and how much mortgage is outstanding?
7. What are your respective pensions CETVs?
8. Any other assets such as savings, shares, cars etc
9. Any debts or liabilities such as credit cards, loans, whose name are they in, what were they taken out for
am 44 she is 46 been married for 20yrs been separated for 20mths divorce proceedings are at Decree Nisi since july last yr we have four children together she lives with two young ones l live with two older ones 21 n 18 she earns £35000.00 l have a part time job as l am a full time masters student and earn £15000.00 with benefits l might add another £1000 house is valued at £160000.00 balance of motgage is £122000.00 we have joint dbts of £5000 my pensions l dont know coz am parttime and its recent job hers l have no idea no other joint debts or major assets its the house its the house that we actually have that matters.
OK there''s about £35k in the house and she earns more than twice your salary. You may have a good claim for spousal maintenance. Could you afford to pay the mortgage on your own? If so then I would offer her that you will forego spousal maintenance if she gives you the house.
How long are you going to be a student? What are your work expectations once you have your qualification?
It may be that you get some support short term but I doubt it would be long term because of your earnings potential.
Are you paying CM for the younger 2?