A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

paying for work on house during divorce

  • HGR123
  • HGR123's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
13 Jun 12 #336585 by HGR123
Topic started by HGR123
We have had a cowboy builder doing loft conversion on house - 5 week job started in Aug 2010 & still unfinished. We have paid out most of cost upfront so now at a loss. Mutually agreed to get another builder in to finish. Quoted £11k. Ex to be now saying won''t go ahead, but will buy me out at about £230k - meaning we lose about £40k as house valued at about £:270k if work done. My question is if I borrow the £11k myself and get the work done is the some way I could be covered legally to get the £11k back when we well the house, or not? Thanks for any help.

  • epitome title
  • epitome title's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Jun 12 #336587 by epitome title
Reply from epitome title

That''s a tricky one, if you get the work done you will benefit, if you don''t he does. If say you did borrow the money and have the work done, given the house would be valued higher, would your stbx then be able to afford a higher mortgage to pay you out?

I would however post all your details, if you have not done so already in a previous post so that you could get an idea of what sort of settlement you may get ie

How long married
Children and ages
amount of mortgage

Have you taken any legal advice yet?

Kind regards

  • HGR123
  • HGR123's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
14 Jun 12 #336712 by HGR123
Reply from HGR123
Hi and thanks for your response.

In answer to your questions we''ve been married for 21 years, he is 48 and I am 46, we have 2 children aged 15 and 14, our mortgage is £45k on a house that is currently worth approx £250k (although been told likely to get less because of incomplete building work, scaffolding, etc), I earn £18k and he earns £38k. We have £4k left to pay for the loft conversion and we don''t have any savings. I owe £3k on a credit card and I don''t think he''s got any outstanding debt. As yet I have not taken any legal advice, other than to ask a few questions on this forum.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11