A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Marital Home claim

  • Dibdob
  • Dibdob's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Jun 12 #337351 by Dibdob
Topic started by Dibdob
My father-in-law married an Egyptian woman and had two children with her. His is 63 years old and has terminal cancer (his wife is much younger and the children are 3) For the whole of their married life he has beeen unable to work through illness and has cashed all of his pensions, endownments and used what savings he had to support them. Having received her British Citizenship his wife left him last year and has been rehoused in a Council property. My father-in-law used up the remainder of his savings and what he could save from his disability benefits to pay his ex each week. His money has now completely run out and he is living purely on benefits. She has now filed for divorce and is claiming she wants half of the house. This will leave him homeless as well as penniless. Can he be forced to leave his home in order to sell it to provide her with money when she is housed in a Council property and living on benefits herself? There is very little equity in the property anyway as it was on an endowment which he has cashed to support them and is currently paying interest only.

  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Jun 12 #337356 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
If there''s no equity to speak of, the golden goose is already dead so there''s nothing left for a court to kill! I doubt that a judge would order a terminally ill man to leave his home, especially if the wife would not receive an amount she could do anything much with.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.