A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

legal charge advice - ex moving away

  • tombodaddy
  • tombodaddy's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Jun 12 #338783 by tombodaddy
Topic started by tombodaddy
My ex and children will be moving 100miles away to live with her new husband in his house.
I have a 15% legal charge on her house to be paid to me in event that she remarries, cohabits, or moves abroad before our youngest is 18. She hasn''t married him yet, but will be doing so later this year.

She says she won''t give me the 15% but will instead keep it in trust adding the same amount of her money to pay for uni fees.

I don''t think she can do this but am unsure as technically she is selling the house BEFORE marrying - does this get her out of the charge?

Any help would be really appreciated as I just can''t face the solicitors again at this time.

thanks for your trouble in replying

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Jun 12 #338790 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
No, I don''t think she can, unless the order makes specific provision for a charge to be transferred to a replacement house, which can sometimes happen.

If she tries to sell, any buyer will insist that the charge be removed. You will not remove it unless you get your cut.

What is more, she has no right to use your share for other purposes.

It really does depend on the wording of the order, and I could do that for you - if you can find a way of sending the order so that I can have a look at it. Alternatively, you may be able to find a family solicitor who will give you a free 20 or 30 minute appointment. That''s all it should take.


  • tombodaddy
  • tombodaddy's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Jun 12 #338791 by tombodaddy
Reply from tombodaddy
Thank-you so much.

I know I should see a solicitor but I am fearful of the cost and advice as the one I used for the divorce seemed (on reflection) less than efficient but cost £k''s. And the mail about her moving came out of the blue a few weeks ago and I think I am in denial! but will get things moving. Currently they live only 10 miles away.

I am just digging out the paperwork to have a close look again.

I appreciate your response and would like to reply again when I have reread it if I may.


  • tombodaddy
  • tombodaddy's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Jun 12 #338795 by tombodaddy
Reply from tombodaddy

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.