A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Equal split on house sale?

  • Grook
  • Grook's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
26 Jun 12 #339282 by Grook
Topic started by Grook
Hi all

Some great advice on here but can''t seem to find what I need.

I split with my partner 2.5 yrs ago. I still have weekend access to my 6 year old daughter.

It now is at a point when house is to be sold.

I purchased the house in 1998 for 60k.

My partner moved in with me in 2005 and I added her to the mortgage via solicitor at both our requests.

She has never paid a mortgage payment and I just need to know whether she is simply entitled to 50% of any sale figure. Or whether I am entitled to more as I had the home for 7 years before I met her.

Many thanks

  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Jun 12 #339284 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
did you have anydiscussions about it at the time you added her to the deds and mortgage? Normally when you buy or trnasfer a house you will be asked by your solicitor whether you intend to hold t as Joint Tenants (noramlly means you each get 50% on sale) or tenants in comon (you can each own a separate and different share)

In some cases it is possible to go behaind what appears on the deeds to consider what you both intended, including taking into account your behavious throughout the period the hosue was owned, but the starting point is always to look at what the deeds say.

  • Grook
  • Grook's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
26 Jun 12 #339303 by Grook
Reply from Grook
Many thanks

At the time I did put it as joint tennants.

If as I suspect the deeds say this, what is the best way to approach it to get the best outcome for me?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.