A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Do I have to sell my house?

  • Clare M
  • Clare M's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
08 Jul 12 #341985 by Clare M
Topic started by Clare M
I have been seperated from my husband for 9 years, he left me. At the time we lived in a house that was owned by myself only. Since the desertion I sold my house and bought a new one. He is now claiming he wants a divorce and half of what my house is worth. Can he do this? we have a child together (who has now left home )since leaving he has never paid any maintenance for her, she was 13 at the time. He lives in a council property which he claims housing benefit for as he is unable to work due to being an alcholic. I am happy to get a divorce, however I am not sure where I stand regarding my property. Please help!!

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Jul 12 #342016 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
Being an alcoholic does not make one unable to work. No judge would accept that line.

I think he will be fighting an uphill struggle to get much, if any, out of you. However it would all depend on the figures. If for example you sold the house for £500k then he might reasonably expect some share of that. We could give more advice if you can give us:

1) Your respective ages
2) Your respective incomes including any benefits
3) Any pensions you or your husband have
4) Value of the FMH when it was sold, and how much the mortgage was; how much did you get from the sale
5) Current value and mortgage of your new home
6) Any other assets such as savings, shares etc, and when these were acquired (pre or post separation)
7) Any debts eg credit cards, loans etc, how much, whose name when they were acquired

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Jul 12 #342017 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
He has a secure tenancy of a Council house, so he could not make a case on grounds of need.
On the other hand, if you were forced to sell the house or buy him out, the cash so received would in all probability disqualify him from housing benefit. Unfortunately for you, the argument that the state would pay his housing costs anyway is not an argument that would get you too far.
Cynically, I suppose most of the cash would finish up in the till at the Rose and Crown.
I feel pretty sure that you would not be on the receiving end of an order that would leave you homeless. But neither cookie or I know whether there is any scope for giving him any interest in your house while still retaining a roof over your head.
For what it might be worth, there is some precedent here ; K v K ( Conduct ) 1990 2 FLR 225 also concerned chronic alcoholism but even so the husband got a share in the proceeds of the house, but his application for spousal maintenance was dismissed. I stress however that every case depends on its own facts.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11