A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Removing my name from joint mortgage after 6 years

  • muddymouse
  • muddymouse's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
04 Aug 12 #347306 by muddymouse
Topic started by muddymouse

I separated from my ex six years ago, although due to him dragging his feet, the Decree Absolute was only issued about two years ago. When we separated, I agreed to move out and leave him in the marital home as I had just graduated from university and didn''t have a full time job (I know, not the best decision I''ve ever made!) We have three children together, and one from my previous relationship who has been brought up as his. They were 18, 12, 9 and 8 at the time of the separation.

We attended mediation at the time and agreed that the kids would live 50/50 with each of us. As for the mortgage, it was agreed that he would sell it when our youngest left full time education (in 4 years time) and that we would split the equity in the house at the time of our split (not a huge amount - I would receive just under £40K).

However, although we had the documents drawn up by the mediator, for one reason or another, we didn''t actually have them witnessed by a professional. Now, six years down the line, I am hoping to apply for a mortgage in a year or two, but will really need to remove my name from the joint mortgage for this to be feasible. I also don''t like that I am still financially associated with him, as I don''t know what effect this will have on my credit rating.

So, my question is... is there an easy (cheap) way to legalise our agreement and therefore get my name removed whilst still protecting my share in the property? Also, will the mortgage company require him to prove that he can afford the mortgage on his own before my name can be removed? (he has been paying it regularly but I know that, as he is self employed, his income on paper is much lower than his actual income, so this might cause problems).

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks for reading.

  • QPRanger
  • QPRanger's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Aug 12 #347311 by QPRanger
Reply from QPRanger

yes the mortgage company will definitely require him to pass all their credit checks etc. But obviously they would need him to request to take on the mortgage in his sole name first.

  • redroxy82
  • redroxy82's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Aug 12 #347637 by redroxy82
Reply from redroxy82
When I left my ex last year due to DV we looked at doing this but he was unable to take on the mortgage alone so I am still stuck on it (joint) he has now not paid the mortgage for months (we owe £5k) I cannot pay as have had to rent privately for me and the 2 girls.
He is keen on a voluntary surrender of the property but I''m not so keen.
House has been on the market since Jan 2012 and there is nothing I can do. The amount we owe is adding up but I''m stuck on a mortgage I have nothing to do with, he changed the locks in Jan 2012 and I''ve not been near the place since. It''s all so wrong :-(

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.