A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Is this an option?

  • Elphie
  • Elphie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Aug 12 #347910 by Elphie
Reply from Elphie
I think you will have to accept you can''t afford to move. I''m in a similar situation, stuck in an area away from my family,but can''t afford to move. Life isn''t fair.

If you are struggling at the moment, you will probably be able to get some help with your current mortgage costs. You on income support? If so, you can gat help paying the interest part of your mortgage - they will assume ex is liable for 50% of the joint mortgage though so will only help with 50% of it. Also, go to bank to see if you can change to interest only mortgage which will also help cut costs in the short term.

  • eyes on horizon
  • eyes on horizon's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Aug 12 #347943 by eyes on horizon
Reply from eyes on horizon
That is a very good point about him moving back into the FMH. if there is nearly no equity (30K once selling fees are deducted wont leave you with much) Why dont you propose he takes over the FMH and the mortgage, buying you out your e. share? you would probably be entitled to say 20k of this, if you had this in hard funds, coupled with the money your parents could give you would it be feasible for you to buy? or do you depend on him helping your mortgge capapbility? if so i doubt he would agree to sell, get realeased from one then tie himself into another..I know I wouldnt.
the other option is he moves back in, releases you from mortgage, you go into rented, with childrnen you would be entitled to housing benefit if you are on income support.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11