I ve been married for nearly 17 years and have two children aged 16 and 13. We are currently seperating and my wife informs me that I cannot force the sale of the house until the kids are 18 even though we would both have houses out of the sale. If this is true this would mean presumably I would have to continue to pay the Mortage and bills which will prevent me from buying (and even renting) a suitable house for me for the children to visit? Or is the Mortage etc to be paid for out of her maintenance ???
1. Your respective ages
2. Your respective incomes including any benefits
3. Your respective pension CETVs
4. House value and outstanding mortgage amount
5. How much would a suitable smaller house cost for her
6. Any other assets such as savings, shares, cars etc
7. Any debts such as credit cards, loans, whose name they are in, what they were for
Yes normally the mortgage would be paid by her, not you. If she cannot afford it she may be awarded maintenance from you. But this would only be awarded if you can afford it. If you have nothing left after your own rent etc, then there is nothing to give her.