A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Separated, but she''s living in my house - my right

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 Aug 12 #350171 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
Rights are a funny concept. At the moment it would appear that she believes her rights are to force the house into repossession and get her husband into bankruptcy and a bad credit score.

Won''t affect her credit as her name isn''t on the mortgage but it will already be affecting his as he is two months in arrears.

I also think both she and her solicitors are on very dodgy ground when she is in receipt of housing benefit and not paying it for housing benefit - taxonomy of fraud.

It is interesting if you read back to the previous comments you posted on this thread.:)

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 Aug 12 #350173 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
She believes her right is to remain in the marital home. And she is correct.

Which comments are you referring to exactly? Just because she is an evil wench does not mean she does not have rights.

  • CheapDivorce
  • CheapDivorce's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
18 Aug 12 #350339 by CheapDivorce
Reply from CheapDivorce
We went to see someone from the Council about housing benefits - I said as she is living there could she apply for housing benefits to pay for the mortgage.

They said as the house is in my sole name it is my responsibility to pay the mortgage unless we agree otherwise, but she can apply for housing benefits to assist with bill payments, house repairs/ maintenance etc, so she now has that added income!

To be honest, I probably need to clear it up with a solicitor as I''m not sure how accurate the Council guy was.

  • Elphie
  • Elphie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Aug 12 #350350 by Elphie
Reply from Elphie
Doesn''t sound like the council guy was that accurate, if you only have s word for it I dubt very much she is getting extra random money towards bills, maintenence etc. she very possibly has her council tax paid for, and if she is on a low income she might get healthy start vouchers (worth a few quid per child per week) free school meals and the like. There are one off grants and special loans she can apply for if she is despereate for money eg the boiler goes or something, but these are not regular forms of income. sounds to me a bit like the council guy was winding you up with ill informed chitchat about all the stuff these single mums are entitled to.

Housing benefit is only for rent, often paid directly to the landlord. So she isn''t eligible for that. And as you were told. She isn''t eligible for mortgage relief either as it is your mortgage.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.