A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Would my wife get half. 21/2years married, no kids

  • Chrisrb2001
  • Chrisrb2001's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
16 Aug 12 #350009 by Chrisrb2001
Topic started by Chrisrb2001
Help please

We had been married 2 1/2 years, no kids.
We bought a house 1 year ago, I paid £40,000 deposit and she paid £10,000.
I then paid out £15,000 on doing up the house. She paid nothing.
I paid for the wedding, I pay the mortage and most of the bills, she pays the council tax and internet.

The house has not gone up in valve.

She earns £18,000, I earn around £40000-ish.

We have seen each other for 5 years, but haven''t lived together for 5 years. She was at uni and I was living with my parents. We have lived together for around 3 years now, 2 years with my parents and 1 year in our house.

When I divorce her, how much would I be looking at paying her? I was thinking I could pay her the £10,000 her Dad put into the house and call it a day, but am I being unrealistic?

Kind regards

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 Aug 12 #350037 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
She will not come away empty handed - I am sure you would not expect that. But I think it is likely that in a case like this, the Court would be looking at a Clean Break.
You don''t say much about your wife''s circumstances. Is it possible that her earnings potential might improve ?
If so it is possible - I won''t say more than that - that she might get maintenance for a shortish time, while she undergoes training for a better paid job.
It''s hard to talk about housing because it depends on what it costs to get accommodation in the area where you live. I don''t think she will get half, that would be optimistic, but perhaps more than just the return of the £10K she put into it.

  • Chrisrb2001
  • Chrisrb2001's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Aug 12 #350109 by Chrisrb2001
Reply from Chrisrb2001
Thanks for your advice.

She is now coming to the end of her final AAT level 4 accountant course. She has been at a large insurance company for the last 8 months, pay raises are yearly and because shes new, it should go up every year.

We live in Norwich, so house prices are not as high as other cities.
She would probably head to London when shes finished her AAT exams as she preffers london and the pay will be better.

I would be looking for a clean break. I need to find out more info on the clean break tho.

I know my wife, she will want to get divorced as cheap as possible. Im sure I can find enough info on the website to make that happen.

Thanks for your reply again, any more help, please let me know.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.