A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Housing Benefit

  • NickyN
  • NickyN's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
22 Aug 12 #351103 by NickyN
Topic started by NickyN
I am new on here today. I separated from my husband in February I moved out of our home as he had initially moved out when I asked him to but then moved back in 4 months down the line. We have 4 children 3 that still live at home. I am renting a property and receiving some benefits but they now want me to sell house or prove that it is no longer an asset of mine. My husband has said there is no equity in the house and that is why when he went bankrupt we got to keep the house. Would I be entitled to any kind of remuneration if I signed the house over if there is no equity? The children love the house and stay with their dad 3 times a week so don''t really want to force a sale of their home.

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Aug 12 #351109 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
If there is no equity in the house then where would your remuneration come from? It does not grow on trees.

You should only sign it over to him as part of a signed and sealed Consent Order.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.