A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Transfer of property query

  • AMARCOO's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Aug 12 #351728 by AMARCOO
Topic started by AMARCOO
I am very confused about what actually a transfer of property means. My husband''s solicitor has suggested that for a lump sum payment he will sign over property to me, as part of a Clean Break. However the mortgage is in joint names, and the mortgage company won''t sign it over to me alone, even though I am the one who is and always has paid the mortgage. The house was put on the market and apart from 1 offer, which my husband refused, we have had no offers. If I accept his solicitors suggestion, can I sell the property once he has his lump sum? Do I need his agreement to do so, as I do not want to end up paying him the equity value and then be stuck paying the mortgage and unable to sell the house.Is it possible to get his signed agreement up front.I have tried to find clarification of this but have got more confused the more I tried. Can anyone advise please/

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Aug 12 #351741 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
To try and sort out your confusion !
1. Ideally, the transfer of the property to you, and the paymwnt of a lump sum to him, ought to take place at the same time.
2. Once the money has been handed over, and the transfer signed, the property becomes yours and you can then sell it.
3. The mortgage lender cannot prevent the transfer. They can, however, refuse to release your husband from the mortgage.
4. If the property is sold, the mortgage will be paid off and the lender has no further interest in the matter.
5. Once the property becomes yours in its entirety it is up to you as the owner whether to sell or not or what price to accept.
6. As matters stand, you are joint owners and both of you would have to concur in any sale.

  • AMARCOO's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Aug 12 #351747 by AMARCOO
Reply from AMARCOO
Thanks LMM, I really appreciate your help. my solicitor has been extremely vague in her responses and does not fill me with the greatest confidence. I just want to make sure that I don''t put myself in a position where I am stuck and it costing me more and more in legal costs that I can not afford. Thanks again

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11