A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How can I speed up her leaving?

  • shazbonks
  • shazbonks's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
20 Sep 12 #356885 by shazbonks
Reply from shazbonks
you don,t say whether your ex has got any money, if that,s the problem my advice would be to give her a small lump sum so she can rent somewhere . if she has got money then just bide your time because when your divorce is through she will have to leave. good luck

  • mnf
  • mnf's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
20 Sep 12 #356890 by mnf
Reply from mnf
She has none of her own money but I have already offered her a lump sum from our joint savings and a monthly amount so that she can afford to rent. Although finances haven''t been finalised she knows she has enough to rent. I don''t think money is the stalling point; it''s more likely a combination of waiting for the "right" property to appear, and I think she is expecting too much, and, mostly, that the current situation suits her quite well.

Is there anything else I can do apart from wait for the divorce to go through? And my worry there is that she can protract that process by not agreeing to finances which will force me to take it to court spending money I don''t have.

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Sep 12 #356892 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
I think if she won''t leave and you want separation then you will be forced into a situation of getting a court to help otherwize this situation will go on for years.

You can self rep so it doesn''t need to cost a fortune in solicitors bills. You just need time and help to fill in the correct forms and to put your case based on finance and needs.

  • mnf
  • mnf's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
21 Sep 12 #357081 by mnf
Reply from mnf
I''m sure you''re right. Still waiting to hear back re my applciation for Nisi - there''s likely to be a problem because of the 8 year delay since acknowledgment of service!! But guess I just have to be patient and do what''s required. Reassuring to know that needing a court to decide on finances won''t cost a fortune.

Thanks, M

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.