A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

finances regarding house loan from his parents

  • bellyboo3
  • bellyboo3's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
28 Aug 12 #352305 by bellyboo3
Topic started by bellyboo3
Im new to this but here we go we split up in november i left with my 3 children to stay at my mums after a very big argument, it wasnt a case of i may never return. But in the meantime the locks were changed!
Im now in rentd property the house we own together when we bought 5 years ago his parents lent us 51k which we payed them back by cash £250 a month, we printed an agreement out which we both signed, now he is divorcing me he is saying we have only made them 3 payments in 5 years which is aload of rubbish. So therefore there is less equity in the house.
Any ideas where i stand we still have a morgage on it of 50k to pay too. Loosing around 10k could be the difference between me being able to buy again and having to rent with 3 children. His income is also shown as very low as he is self employed need i say anymore!
many thanks

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Aug 12 #352316 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
If neither of you have evidence of regular payment being made to the parents then I would think this would be considered a ''soft'' loan.

As a soft loan it would only be paid back if there are enough assets to rehome you and the children without the need for this money.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11