A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Wife stopped paying mortgage

  • r16
  • r16's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
03 Sep 12 #353646 by r16
Topic started by r16

Wife left and stopped paying mortgage, which I''m kind of ok with as the longer she stays on the mortgage the better for me as it will mean I will need to get lower mortgage when I eventually buy her out.

However if she doesn''t pay for say 6 months is she entitled to half the equity after not paying for half a year?

(I suspect she is)


  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Sep 12 #353650 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
Yes she probably will be as it is too complicated for a court to work out those sort of intricacies (if it comes to it).

Generally the advice is to reduce to interest only until matters are decided. Your wife will presumably be paying a rent somewhere else or saving for a deposit by living with a friend or a relative.

If she agrees and it is a joint mortgage change to interest only whilst the issues are sorted out.

If she will not agree you can always "reduce" to interest only bearing in mind it will affect both your credit ratings as a debt will accrue that will affect you both - that might help you both focus on the real issues that lie ahead.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.