A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Matrimonial Home rights notice

  • Enigma55
  • Enigma55's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 Sep 12 #353862 by Enigma55
Topic started by Enigma55
I owned my home prior to meeting my stbx. he never contributed financially and I can prove it. He left in Nov 2010 and yet did not put the matrimonial home rights notice on with Land registry until Feb 2012. My questions are; Should the LR have contacted me prior to the notice being applied? is it right that he could apply this so long after having moved out. I do have proof that he has signed on the D81 his date of leaving. There are just so many issues my useless solicitor has left unturned. Anyone have any info for me?
Also, I never changed my name, the house has always been in my name(not his)he was never on the electoral roll as he does not like to be part of ''''the system'''' Anyone got any info for me?

  • rugby333
  • rugby333's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
05 Sep 12 #353885 by rugby333
Reply from rugby333
Yes, been there, my ex did the same: its a particularly odious form of irritation and his solicitor will know that.

Basically it is designed to worry you, which it has done!

My assumption is that financial agreement has not been reached yet.

When his form E arrives it will probably list half the value of the house as his.

Broadly, do not worry. You will value all your assets (as will he) on your form e and your income (as will he).

The judge will make an assessment (or you will come to agreement) taking the full picture into consideration i.e. length of marriage, children, needs etc etc.

I think the best way of thinking about this latest twist is that he is looking to get the maximum out of you or to reduce his capital payment to you to a minimum (its impossible to tell as you have not submitted the overall picture). But broadly don''t give this Matrimonial home rights notice a second thought: its really just a solicitor (with your ex) playing the game in a particularly scum like way.

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Sep 12 #353890 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
If your were married then it doesnt matter who''s name the house is in nor will it matter who actually paid for the house. It will depend on the financial needs of both parties, especially if there are children involved.

How long were you married and are there any children from the relationship?

  • Enigma55
  • Enigma55's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
05 Sep 12 #354095 by Enigma55
Reply from Enigma55
You are right, it has worried me so much! We were married for 10 years when we split. No children involved thankfully. Hopefully any judge will see right through him. He will not be a part of any system, does not pay his way, works SE as a joiner, pays no tax, and hardly earns anything??? He borrows money from everywhere and never repays, is blacklisted to the hilt. Since I met him I had to remortgage the house 4 times to pay off credit cards that I got to support us both, I work full time and can prove that since meeting him my bank accounts ceased being in credit, I paid all bills through my bank, he paid nothing. he ducks and dives but always seems to come up smelling of roses. An example being; he is still acquiring loans with well known large companies from my address, when he has never been on the electoral roll. He always comes out on top. Sorry I got a bit carried away. I''m so angry.!!!!!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.